Saturday

Rembrandt Turns 400

Rembrandt self-portrait
Here's another chance for me to show off my Dutch-Canadian roots.

Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn was born 400 years ago on July 15, 1606, in Leiden (the Netherlands). It was the Dutch Golden Age, when Holland was on top of the world. The son of a miller, Rembrandt proved to be an artistic prodigy. He entered university at the age of 14, and by 22 he had students of his own.

Although best known for his 600 plus paintings, he created more than 2,000 drawings and etchings, mostly for his own use. He made more than 60 self-portraits. He is considered to be one the greatest Western artists, and the most important in Dutch history.

In Holland, the year 2006 is being spent in celebration of Rembrandt's 400th birthday. There are special events and displays, especially in Leiden and Amsterdam. This would be a good year to visit the Netherlands.

News

Amsterdam fetes Rembrandt's 400th birthday
Dutch mark Rembrandt's 400th anniversary

Links

Official Website of Rembrandt's 400th Year
Rembrandt 400 in Rijksmuseum
Rembrandt: Life and Works
Rembrandt Wallpaper Downloads
Rembrandt (Wikipedia)
Leiden (Wikipedia)
Amsterdam (Wikipedia)

In Dutch

Rembrandt 400 Jaar (Dutch Public Broadcasting)
Leiden Rembrandtfestival 2006

3 Comments:

At Sat Jan 16, 07:45:00 PM 2010, Blogger Karen in Honolulu said...

OMG Joan. I remember my first visit to Amsterdam. My brother sat me along the cannel and we drank cognac and smoked pot. Yes, I smoked pot.

It was wonderful watching the boats going up and down the cannel and there was even a wedding party that disembarked at the church across from where we were sitting.

Then my brother suggested we go to see Rembrandt's home. Man, I was in the town where he painted and I was going to be standing on the floor of the house where he walked.

Unfortunately, the only thing I can remember is the smile on my face as I stood looking at his furniture, a desk, and chairs. I guess you could say that day went up in smoke for me but ah, I loved every moment of it.

 
At Thu Jan 28, 02:43:00 PM 2010, Blogger Joan W said...

Great story, Karen!

 
At Sun Jan 29, 01:26:00 AM 2012, Blogger Dan said...

Creative genius!

Now tell me, do you paint? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home