Tuesday

Happy Fourth of July

O.K., so I'm not an American. I can still enjoy the 4th of July. I don't have a barbecue, either, but I made a point of having a traditional celebration by eating a hamburger at Harvey's. Their flame broiled hamburger is a beautiful thing. They also make the best onion rings.

I even had fireworks today. First there was the successful shuttle launch, then the North Korean missile tests (which were not so successful). I watched a little of the Boston Pops fireworks special, but it loses something in the translation when viewed on TV. I guess a rocket launch is more impressive to me on TV because I've never seen it in person. One of these years (before 2010) I have to go see a live launch. The other day I accidentally came across the website where you can buy the tickets. I guess you could say there's no such thing as a free launch.

Oh, and I watched the World Cup semifinal game between Italy and Germany. Ninety minutes ended without a score. The additional thirty minutes were almost over and I was starting to look forward to a penalty kickoff. With about a minute left, Italy came out of nowhere and scored two goals in rapid succession! There was much rejoicing in Toronto. The Italians will play whoever wins tomorrow. Portugal against France. I have the sinking feeling that the Portuguese will be vicorious this year. They are fast and cunning, but I lost my respect for them last week when they played the Dutch. They are fun to watch, though, and there's nothing prettier than Maniche floating around that field.

Maybe in a few years Canada will be playing in the World Cup. Our first dedicated soccer stadium should be completed in 2007, and it's only a matter of time before we're up to international standards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home